About Me

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
As an immigrant Trans woman I decided to create Services of Orientation for Latin (SOL) Transgender as a resource for the Trans community to be informed about various topics, and to help cisgender friends to understand us better, and become our allies.

Español


Siendo una mujer trans e inmigrante, tome la decision de crear Servicios de Orientacion para Latinos (SOL) Trangenero como recurso informativo en varios temas para la comunidad Transgenero, y facilitar a aquellos fuera de la comunidad el entendimiento de nuestra situacion, para ser mejores aliados.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A quick introduction / Una breve introduccion.

As the first post on this Blog I decided to talk a little bit about who I am and how was SOL Transgender born, so let's get started.
I was born the fourth child of a middle class family in Mexico in 1984 being the last of two brothers and two sisters... well... three sisters and a brother, with a difference of 8 years between my closest sister and I, I would spent most of my time with my mother, but please don't misunderstand and think that nurture had anything to do with the fact that I had always identify myself as a little girl.
As I grew up I had always presented feminine behavior either at school, home and even sports which also got me in trouble many times.
The situation for a trans woman in my country is not the best, as I became more and more feminine throughout the years with the help of hormones, laser hair removal, makeup ,etc. I also became more of a target and less of what society would consider a valuable human being, I was unemployable no matter the level of education I had reached, I was unwelcome to different social settings, I was unworthy of a decent relationship without abuse. So I finally decided to flee the country and came to Canada where I became a refugee claimant in 2008.
Since my arrival to Canada things had been much different, I was introduced to the Rainbow Refugee Committee where I remain a volunteer, in every meeting there is a sense of safety that inspired me to do something to help my brothers and sisters of the Trans community whom are living in the same or even worse conditions that I was living in, and also to help those whom managed to come here but hadn't been able to reach the appropriate resources to settle down, and now with the help of RRC and other groups is that SOL Transgender had finally been born.

 ESPAÑOL

Como la primera publicacion de este blog he decidido hablar un poco de quien soy, y de como nacio SOL Transgenero, asi que empecemos.
Yo naci el cuarto hijo de una familia de clase media en Mexico en 1984, siendo la menor de dos hermanos y dos hermanas... bueno... tres hermanas y un hermano, con una diferencia de edad de 8 años entre mi hermana mas cercana y yo, preferia pasar la mayoria de mi tiempo con mi madre, pero por favor no me mal entiendan y piensen que mi crianza influyo para nada con el hecho de que yo siempre me mirara a mi misma como una niña pequeña.
Conforme fui creciendo siempre presente un comportramiento femenino tanto en la escuela, la casa o los deportes, lo cual tambien me metia en problemas frecuentemente.
La situacion para una mujer transgenero en mi pais no es la mejor, conforme mi apariencia era mas y mas femenia con el paso de los años y la ayuda de hormonas, depilacion laser, maquillaje, etc. tambien me converti aun mas en un blanco y menos en lo que la sociedad consideraria un ser humano valorable, no era elegible para trabajar sin importar el nivel de educacion que tuviera, no era bienvenida a diferentes eventos sociales, no era merecedora de una relacion digna y sin abusos. Asi que finalmente decidi abandonar el pais y vine a Canada en donde me converti en una clamante de refugio en 2008.
Desde mi llegada a Canada las cosas han sido muy diferentes, fui presentada con Rainbow Refugee Committee de donde hasta ahora permanezco como voluntaria, en cada reunion hay un sentimiento de seguridad que me inspiro a hacer algo para ayudar mis hermanos y hermanas de la comunidad Transgenero que viven en las mismas o peores condiciones que las que yo vivia, de igual modo ayudar a aquellos que lograron llegar hasta aqui pero que no han sido capacez de encontrar los recursos apropiados para establecerse, y es asi que con la ayuda de Rainbow Refugee Committee y otras organizaciones SOL Trangenero nace.

No comments:

Post a Comment